The Bestest Browser Dev Tool

 

I was recently working on a new application and I was researching different color schemes.  

In the past I have used the browser dev tools to see what colors I web site I like was using.  I would get the usual display of a list of colors.  


Once you are in Dev tools, you select the "Elements" tab top of the screen.  Then select "Styles" on the right side panel.  This will show a wide range of colors and style used on the web site.  This works, but you basically have to inspect each separate element and take note of the color and font used.  Time consuming, but it will get the job done.

I was following this process in several different browsers, Chrome, Edge and Vivaldi, I often use multiple browsers, when I came across a new tool in Edge.

I was in Edge, Version 103.0.1264.62 (Official build) when I noticed a new tab:


It does show this as an experimental feature.  I clicked on it and I was amazed with what it showed.



If you notice, to shows a lot of really cool information.  Here is a break down on what each section has to offer.

Overview Summary


This section shows a summary of the areas that the dev tool looks at.  It makes it easy to compare different web sites styles at a glance.  I like the "Inline style elements" and the number of "Style Rules".

Colors




This is by far my favorite section from the tool.  You shows you the different color schemas that the web site are using.  This is the information I was looking for all in one spot.  It provides a cool way of learning how colors go together or in some cases not go to together. 

Font Info




This section shows the different fonts that the web sites are using.  You can use this see how different font and font family work together.  You can use this section to learn about the use of font size and weight with a web page.  Like the color section this can be very useful information.

Unused Declarations




I will be using this section on my own web sites more than looking at others.  It is a good way to validate your overall web page and help you improve your CSS coding.

Media Queries




This is another helpful section.  It is helpful to see where other web sites have media break points.  This can help you to see where to set your media break points.

Summary

I was so excited to find this new Dev Tool.  I am continuously trying to improve my CSS skills mainly focusing on the use of colors.  This tool will be a great asset to me.  Hopefully this post will enable you to use it to help you as well.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, Blazor Server can scale!

Blazor new and improved Search Box

Blazor Wizard Step Component