1st step is to admit you have a problem




I normally don't like to use the term "problem".  I prefer to see it as an opportunity or a "challenge".  Even when reporting a bug, I prefer to see it as a "coding opportunity".

I think I do have a problem, though.  I gave up watching TV.  I am down from about 6 hours to about 1 hour a day.  That is a very good thing.  What I have replaced it with might be just as bad.

It started out with good intension.  I wanted to improve my CSS skills.   I have had a PluralSight subscription for years and I use it often.  For my CSS skill upgrade, I was looking for a very specific Flexbox and  CSS Grid content.  PluralSight was overkill for this.  


So I turned to YouTube!

I had been on youtube for music, how-tos, and animal videos, but not really for technology videos.  Once I searched for Flexbox, I found a treasure troll of great contact, all free.

What I did learn was to watch a vary of different presentations on the same topic.  This will allow you to find a presenter that you can relate to.  That is a key part of getting the most from these videos.  I have watched some videos with great content, but I could not relate to the presenter.  In contrast, I have subscribed to some channels just because I like the presenter, even though the content may not be as good. 

I now have 15 channels I subscribe to on YouTube now.  They cover front end, .Net, IoT, and generic technology.  I watch a lot of these videos on youtube, but at least I am learning from the time I spend watching them.

Here is a shortlist, in no particular order of my favorite channels:

So fair warning, Youtube is like eating Lay's potato chips, you can't watch just one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, Blazor Server can scale!

Blazor new and improved Search Box

Blazor Wizard Step Component